- CDL has been gifted an observatory grade optical telescope, complete with mounts, drives and computer controls.
- CDL is the recipient of a carrier grade photo voltaic array, charge controller, and shortly, batteries.
- CDL would like to put forth the concept of merging all of the above into the “Unplugged Observatory” – an off-grid, self-contained facility that demonstrates energy independence and give students an idea what working at a remote optical observatory is like.
- Low voltage lighting (that runs off the storage batteries) would line the interior of the dome.
- Network equipment, IP cameras, WiFi, instruments, and telescope control would be selected to run directly from the storage batteries and PV array. A large digital “gas gauge” would allow students to see the load, and if the solar cells can keep up with the demands.
- In order to engage as wide an audience as possible, the equipment will enable these views to be live-streamed to the world online and shared with schools and the public through the CDL website.
With your help, the astronomers at the Unplugged Observatory can throw the doors to the cosmos wide open and inspire and excite people all over the world.